Is That Low Online Price Really a Great Deal?
Shopping online for restaurant equipment from a mega-store may seem like a great way to save money. However, that "great deal" may actually cost more in the long run. When you shop from an online mega-store instead of a local restaurant equipment professional, you're sacrificing a lot of important detail work. Those details are critical to ensuring you get the right equipment. After all, it doesn't matter how cheap the equipment is if it's not what you need. If you're a restaurant owner, here are some of the reasons why shopping online for a low price ends up costing you more in the end.
Here Is What You Don't Get When Shopping Online
- An online mega-store can't get to know you and your restaurant personally. It can't provide solutions for your specific needs.
- An online mega-store can't provide recommendations. There may be options you haven't thought of yet.
- An online mega-store can't design your kitchen, prep areas, hood systems, walk-in coolers and freezers, refrigeration systems or bars.
- An online mega-store can't take measurements at your job site to make sure everything will fit properly.
- An online mega-store can't answer questions from architects, general contractors, designers, electricians, and your food service staff.
"Direct selling really offers only one potential advantage - a low price - to lure the buyer into purchasing from the upstart manufactureres or distributor. ... But you may find that sweet prices without local support may leave a bad aftertaste if, and when, a problem arises with the product support after the purchase is made"
- An online-mega store can't check your job site during construction for any issues that may conflict with the proper operation or installation of your equipment.
- An online mega-store takes no responsibility for your mistake when you order something incorrectly.
- An online mega-store doesn't do equipment start-ups, training, or answer operational questions from your staff.
- An online mega-store doesn't receive, check for damage, protect and store your equipment in it's warehouse and then deliver it to your job site when it's ready to be installed.
- An online mega-store doesn't provide industry trained and insured professionals to deliver, unload, uncrate, assemble and set the equipment in place and protect it again at your job site.
- An online mega-store makes you pay in advance.
An Even Shorter List of What An Online Mega-Store Does Do For You.
- Allows you to play "Russian Roulette" with your equipment unless you truly know what you're doing and whom you're doing it with.
- It may open you to a sales tax investigation and/or audit. This is especially true of large in-state dollar purchases.
The Next Time Someone Tells You, "I Found It Cheaper Online"
You may remind them that cheap usually ends up being expensive. A local restaurant equipment professional can take the guess work out of shopping for your kitchen. They can get to know your restaurant, address your specific needs, make sure you always buy the correct equipment, help with set-up, train your staff on new equipment, and so much more. Buying local saves you time, worry, and even money.
Unsure who your local restaurant equipment dealer is? Call Spokane Restaurant Equipment. We'll help you find a vendor near you.
CONTACT US AT 509.534.5500
OR SEND US AN EMAIL
Join the SRE Community
Was this article helpful? Then be sure to join the SRE Community. We'll keep you up to date on all of our latest deals, events, and tips from our restaurant professionals. Membership is always 100% free. Join today!
Back to Blog Home
View Entire Blog Archive